- To punish (in order to bring about improvement in behavior, attitude, etc.); to restrain, moderate
- To make chaste; to purify.
- To punish or reprimand for the sake of improvement; to discipline.
- To render humble or restrained.
purify — see purify
discipline — see discipline
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.