- (transitive) To control or keep in check.
- (transitive) To deprive of liberty.
- (transitive) To restrict or limit.
- He was restrained by the straitjacket.
- 2013 May 17, George Monbiot, “Money just makes the rich suffer”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 23, page 19:
- In order to grant the rich these pleasures, the social contract is reconfigured. […] The public realm is privatised, the regulations restraining the ultra-wealthy and the companies they control are abandoned, and Edwardian levels of inequality are almost fetishised.
- (control or keep in check): check, limit, restrain, withstrain; See also Thesaurus:curb
- (deprive of liberty): confine, detain
to control or keep in check
to deprive of liberty
to restrict or limit