- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /kəˈləʊ.kwɪəl/
- (General American) IPA(key): /kəˈloʊ.kwi.əl/
Audio (Canada) (file)
- Hyphenation: col‧lo‧qui‧al
- (linguistics) Characteristic of familiar conversation, of common parlance; informal.
- You're using too many colloquial words in this cover letter: I suggest changing "I picked up loads of cool skills" to "I acquired a great deal of positive abilities"
- The colloquial and at times sarcastic tone of her books make her popular with teenagers.
- Of or pertaining to a conversation; conversational or chatty.
It is a common misconception that colloquial somehow denotes "local" or a word being "regional". This is not the case; the word root for colloquial is related to locution, not location. A more appropriate word for describing "local" or "regional" language is vernacular.
colloquial (plural colloquials)
- A colloquial word or phrase, colloquialism