See also: compère
compere (plural comperes)
- (chiefly Britain) A master of ceremonies, especially for a television, variety or quiz show.
- Every year I am the compere for our Church Quiz Night.
- 2008, Kerry Katona, The Footballer's Wife, ISBN 9781407022178, page 157:
- The compere came onto the stage holding the gold envelope that contained the winner's name.
- 2012, Steve Taberner, The Wigan Hammer: The Autobiography by Steve Taberner, AuthorHouse (2012), ISBN 9781468578713, page 249:
- Not only for his fighting expertise but also reminiscent of a compere in a cabaret show working the crowd, as a build up to the main event.
- 2012, Sue Welfare, One Night Only, HarperCollins (2012), ISBN 9780007461721, unnumbered page:
- They were barely settled when the final song came to an end; the audience began to applaud and after a few more seconds the voice of the compere came over the PA.
master of ceremonies