master of ceremonies
- Someone who acts as a host at a formal event.
- Someone who conducts a programme of varied entertainment, for example by introducing performers to the audience.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 5, in The Celebrity:
- In the eyes of Mr. Farquhar Fenelon Cooke the apotheosis of the Celebrity was complete. The people of Asquith were not only willing to attend the house-warming, but had been worked up to the pitch of eagerness. The Celebrity as a matter of course was master of ceremonies.
- (rap music, in the abbreviated form "MC" or sometimes "emcee") A rapper.
host at a formal event
someone who conducts a program by introducing performers
(rap music, in the abbreviated form "MC" or sometimes "emcee") A rapper
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.