- Anethum graveolens (the type species of the genus Anethum), a herb, the seeds of which are moderately warming, pungent, and aromatic, formerly used as a soothing medicine for children; also known as dillseed.
- A cucumber pickled with dill flavoring, also called a dill pickle.
- (informal) a fool.
terms derived from dill (noun)
herb of the species Anethum graveolens
dill pickle, cucumber pickled with dill
fool — see fool
- To cook or flavor with dill
2014, Anatoly (Tony) Kandiew, Red Devils, ↑ISBN, page 139:
- My mother would pickle them and dill them, and we still had an abundance of fresh vegetables left.
Variant of dull
- To still; to assuage; to calm; to soothe, as one in pain.
1775, Robert Baillie, Letters and Journals: Written by the deceased Mr. Robert Baillie, Principal of the University of Glasgow, page 252:
- The noise of the Queen's voyage to France is dilled down ; no money for her furniture will be got in haste; and the Cardinal has no will of her mother.
1829, Publications - Issue 25, Volume 2, page x:
- The innocent was punished. The gear is payed and the thieves dilled down.
1829, John Spalding & James Skene, The History of the Troubles and Memorable Transactions in Scotland, page vii:
- The Provincial Assembly sits down. Dr. Guild moderator. Dr. Scroggie preaches. His sermon found faulty. It dills down.
1890, Thomas Nield, Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England: A Drama, page 23:
- And there is nought to call them back, while these Curmudgeon generals dill down in their fear.
1938, Alexander Ross, Scot. Text S, page 195:
- That now the dinn o' it wad soon dill down, An' but a story at the last be found.
- dill at OneLook Dictionary Search
- dill in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- dill on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Anethum graveolens on Wikispecies.Wikispecies
- Anethum graveolens on Wikimedia Commons.Wikimedia Commons
dill c (uncountable)
- the herb dill
Declension of dill
- Used to indicate the infinitive form of a verb; compare English to.
sjwårrt dil o fa-ne dil briinn
- hard to get it to burn
- to (indicating destination)
gakk dill stass
- walk to the city
- another, one more
Ve fing annätókkä dill
- We got an euqal amount thereto