- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɜː.θi/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɝθi/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)θi
- Hyphenation: earthy
- Resembling dirt or soil (i.e. earth).
- The earthy smell of fresh turned loam told me the farmer had started plowing this morning, the definitive sign of spring for me.
- Down-to-earth, not artificial, natural.
- She was an earthy soul, the salt of the earth as they say of such rural folk, untarnished by false civilization.
- (figuratively) Coarse and unrefined, crude.
- earthy humour
- Like or resembling the earth or of the earth.
- Covered with earth (mud, dirt).
- terreous (obsolete)
resembling dirt or soil
down to earth