See also: Equator
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪˈkweɪ.tə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ɪˈkweɪ.tɚ/, /iˈkweɪ.tɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪtə(r)
equator (plural equators)
- (geography, often “the Equator”) An imaginary great circle around the Earth, equidistant from the two poles, and dividing earth's surface into the northern and southern hemisphere.
- (astronomy) A similar great circle on any sphere, especially on a celestial body, or on other reasonably symmetrical three-dimensional body.
- A short form of the celestial equator.
circle around the earth
celestial equator — see celestial equator