From Middle English gret- (“great-”), from gret (“great”). More at great.
- With familial designations, used to denote a removal of one generation
- great-uncle (an uncle of one's mother or father)
- great-grandfather (the father of one's grandfather)
- great-great-grandfather (a grandfather of one's grandfather)
- great-great-great-grandfather, etc.
- (informal) fourth-great-granduncle, etc. (same as great-great-great-great-granduncle)
- (informal) fourth-great-grandfather, etc. (same as great-great-great-great-grandfather)
removal of one generation