highway (plural highways)
- (historical) A road that is higher than the surrounding land and has drainage ditches at the sides
- A main public road, especially a multi-lane, high-speed thoroughfare.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 7, in The China Governess:
- The highway to the East Coast which ran through the borough of Ebbfield had always been a main road and even now, despite the vast garages, the pylons and the gaily painted factory glasshouses which had sprung up beside it, there still remained an occasional trace of past cultures.
- (figuratively) A way; a path that leads to a certain destiny
- You're on a highway to greatness.
- (law, rail transport) Any public road for vehicular traffic.
- (computing) Synonym of
- (road): hwy. (abbreviation)
- hwy. (abbreviation)
- Highway Code
- highway hypnosis
- highway patrol
- highway robber, highway robbery
- one's way or the highway
main public road