- The policy of forcefully extending a nation's authority by territorial gain or by the establishment of economic and political dominance over other nations.
- 2008 June 1, A. Dirk Moses, “Preface”, in Empire, Colony, Genocide: Conquest, Occupation, and Subaltern Resistance in World History, Berghahn Books, →ISBN, page x:
- Though most of the cases here cover European encounters with non-Europeans, it is not the intention of the book to give the impression that genocide is a function of European colonialism and imperialism alone.
the policy of extending power, by force
- imperialism at OneLook Dictionary Search
- imperialism in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- "imperialism" in Raymond Williams, Keywords (revised), 1983, Fontana Press, page 159.
- imperialism in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
imperialism n (uncountable)
declension of imperialism (singular only)