See also: Intervention
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪntɚˈvɛnʃən/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪntəˈvɛnʃən/
- Rhymes: -ɛnʃən
- Hyphenation: in‧ter‧ven‧tion
- The action of intervening; interfering in some course of events.
2011 October 29, Phil McNulty, “Chelsea 3 - 5 Arsenal”, in BBC Sport:
- Fernando Torres was recalled in place of the suspended Didier Drogba and he was only denied a goal in the opening seconds by Laurent Koscielny's intervention - a moment that set the tone for game filled with attacking quality and littered with errors.
- (US, law) A legal motion through which a person or entity who has not been named as a party to a case seeks to have the court order that they be made a party.
- An orchestrated attempt to convince somebody with an addiction or other psychological problem to seek professional help and/or change their behavior.
- (medicine) An action taken or procedure performed; an operation.
act of intervening
Declension of intervention