juba (plural jubae)
- (zoology) The mane of an animal.
- (botany) A loose panicle whose axis falls to pieces, as in certain grasses.
juba (plural jubas)
- An American dance of West African origin that involves stomping as well as slapping and patting the arms, legs, chest, and cheeks.
- 2009 April 23, Patrick Healy, “Director’s Race Adds to Drama for an August Wilson Revival”, in New York Times:
- His cast and Ms. Romero offered advice and insights on everything from the kind of coat that a central character would wear to the staging of the juba, an African dance at the end of Act I.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for juba in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)