- (Christianity) A saint conceived as the patron (protector or supporter) of a particular place, group, or activity.
- St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland; St. Isidore is the patron saint of software engineers; and St. Anthony is the patron saint of travelers and finding lost things.
- (figuratively) An exemplar: an individual who exemplifies some trait or group.
- Janet is the patron saint of procrastination. I'm thinking of erecting her a shrine of doughnut boxes in the breakroom.
- (exemplar): See Thesaurus:exemplar
saint from whom a specific group claims special protection or prayer
exemplar — see exemplar