pickup (plural pickups)
- An electronic device for detecting sound, vibration, etc., such as one fitted to an electric guitar or record player.
- (US, Canada) A pickup truck.
- (attributive) Impromptu or ad hoc, especially of sports games.
- At lunch we had a game of pickup hockey.
- An instance of approaching someone and engaging in romantic flirtation and courting with the intent to pursue romance, a date, or a sexual encounter. See also pick-up line, pick-up joint, pickup artist.
- Hey, thanks for the drink, but if this is a pickup, I'm not interested.
- (video games) An item that can be picked up by the player, conferring some benefit or effect; a power-up.
- (US, Canada) The act of a challenging party or candidate winning an electoral district held by an incumbent party or candidate. See also gain
- The returns from the election show Apple Party candidate Jane Doe has made a pickup in the district of City West defeating Orange Party Incumbent Joe Smith
- The act of answering a telephone.
Read in another language
This page is available in 11 languages