- (uncountable) The process by which an organism produces others of its kind; breeding, propagation, procreation, reproduction.
- (countable) The act of increasing or rising; augmentation, amplification, enlargement, escalation, aggrandizement.
2013 July 19, Mark Tran, “Denied an education by war”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 6, page 1:
- One particularly damaging, but often ignored, effect of conflict on education is the proliferation of attacks on schools […] as children, teachers or school buildings become the targets of attacks. Parents fear sending their children to school. Girls are particularly vulnerable to sexual violence.
- (countable) The result of building up; buildup, accretion.
- (uncountable) The spread of biochemical, nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction to countries not originally involved in developing them.
the process by which an organism produces others of its kind
the act of increasing or rising