- The state of being responsible, accountable, or answerable.
- Responsibility is a heavy burden.
- The state of being liable, culpable, or responsible for something in particular.
- 2020 March, Joshua Leifer, “Led Astray”, in The Baffler, number 50:
- The vast majority of American Jews not only greatly dislike President Trump but also believe he has made them less safe: according to a May 2019 poll, nearly three-quarters of Jewish voters believe American Jews are less secure under Trump than they were before, 71 percent disapprove of Trump’s overall job performance, and nearly 60 percent believe that he bears at least some responsibility for the synagogue shootings carried out by white nationalists in Pittsburgh and Poway.
- A duty, obligation or liability for which someone is held accountable.
- Why didn't you clean the house? That was your responsibility!
- The responsibility of the great states is to serve and not to dominate the world - Harry S. Truman
- (military) The obligation to carry forward an assigned task to a successful conclusion. With responsibility goes authority to direct and take the necessary action to ensure success.
- (military) The obligation for the proper custody, care, and safekeeping of property or funds entrusted to the possession or supervision of an individual.
- responsibleness (may be considered nonstandard)
- see respond
the state of being responsible
a duty, obligation or liability for which someone is responsible
- responsibility at OneLook Dictionary Search
- responsibility in Keywords for Today: A 21st Century Vocabulary, edited by The Keywords Project, Colin MacCabe, Holly Yanacek, 2018.
- responsibility in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
- responsibility in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.
- Feltus, C.; Petit, M. (2009). "Building a Responsibility Model Including Accountability, Capability and Commitment", Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers ( IEEE ), Fukuoka, 2009. Building a Responsibility Model Including Accountability, Capability and Commitment