- schnapper (fish)
snapper (plural snappers)
- One who, or that which, snaps.
- a snapper-up of trifles
- the snapper of a whip
- Any of approximately 100 different species of fish.
- (Ireland, slang) A (human) baby.
- (American football) The player who snaps the ball to start the play.
- (US) Small, paper-wrapped item containing a minute quantity of explosive composition coated on small bits of sand, which explodes noisily when thrown onto a hard surface.
- (slang) One who takes snaps; a photographer.
- (US, informal) The snapping turtle.
- The green woodpecker, or yaffle.
- A snap beetle.
- (historical) A telegraphic device with a flexible metal tongue for producing clicks like those of the sounder.
- (US, colloquial) A string bean.
- ^ 1990, Richard Allan, Australian Fish and How to Catch Them, ISBN 1-86302-674-6, page 309.
- ^ “Snapper”, entry in 1966, An Encyclopedia of New Zealand.