- Stinging; able to sting.
able to sting
Audio (US) (file)
- Unwilling to spend, give, or share; ungenerous; extremely close and covetous; meanly avaricious; niggardly; miserly; penurious; as, a stingy churl.
- Small, scant, meager, insufficient
2014 September 7, Natalie Angier, “The Moon comes around again [print version: Revisiting a moon that still has secrets to reveal: Supermoon revives interest in its violent origins and hidden face, International New York Times, 10 September 2014, p. 8]”, The New York Times:
- As the moon wheels around Earth every 28 days and shows us a progressively greater and then stingier slice of its sun-lightened face, the distance between the moon and Earth changes, too. At the nearest point along its egg-shaped orbit, its perigee, the moon may be 26,000 miles closer to us than it is at its far point.
- See also Wikisaurus:stingy
unwilling to spend or give
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.