In this simplified form, this character consists of 玉, the Chinese character for jade (or precious stone or gem) (representing the emperor), enclosed by the character meaning "erect," "proud," or "upright". In the Kangxi Dictionary of 1716 the character 国 is not included, but other characters like 囯, 囶 and 圀 are, as well as a character made up of three 秦. 國 is the original character.
- KangXi: not present, would follow page 218, character 4
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 4752
- Dae Jaweon: page 446, character 7
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 1, page 716, character 7
- Unihan data for U+56FD
The on'yomi is used in compounds like 国語 (こくご, Kokugo: "national language", i.e. Japanese) or 中国 (ちゅうごく, Chūgoku: China; the Chūgoku region of central Japan). In many compounds where the 国 character does not come first, koku changes to goku due to rendaku (連濁).
- a land, a large place
- a country in general, a region
- a country as in a nation, a state
- the office of emperor, the crown; affairs of state
- a province of ancient Japan
- the national government in ancient Japan; the national capital in ancient Japan
- one's birthplace
- (a land): 大地 (だいち, daichi), 土地 (とち, tochi), 陸地 (りくち, rikuchi)
- (nation): 国家 (こっか, kokka), 国土 (こくど, kokudo)
- (ancient national government): 国府 (こくふ, kokufu)
- (birthplace): 出生地 (しゅっしょうち, shusshōchi), 生国 (しょうごく, shōgoku), 故郷 (ふるさと, furusato; こきょう, kokyō)
国 (hangeul 국 (guk), revised guk, McCune-Reischauer kuk)
Note: This Hanja character is not used or recognized in Korea. They teach only the original 國.
国 (simplified, Pinyin 國), traditional
Read in another language
This page is available in 27 languages