- a person's life (often in the sense of being in danger, similar to the English idiom "head is on the line").
- the top-most part
- the most important part
- (as in Byzantine Greek) a provincial governor
- κεφαλή in A Greek–English Lexicon by Liddell & Scott, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1940
- Bauer lexicon
- G2776 in Strong's Exhaustive Concordance to the Bible.
- Robert S. P. Beekes (2010) Etymological Dictionary of Greek, Leiden, Boston: Brill Academic Publishers
From Ancient Greek.
- Alternative form of