From Angkorian Old Khmer pañ, from Proto-Mon-Khmer *paɲʔ (“to shoot”). Cognate with Halang pĕng, Mon ပန်, Pacoh pánh, Vietnamese bắn and Central Nicobarese [Nancowry] fòin (“crossbow”).
បាញ់ • (bañ) (abstract noun ការបាញ់)
- to shoot (a bow or gun), fire (a weapon) at, to aim at
- to kill by shooting
- to hunt
- to strike (said of lightning)
- to spin the kind of dice called អាប៉ោង (aapaoŋ)
- to direct (e.g. one's attention)
- to squirt, spray
- to shoot up (water, as a geyser), spurt up (like a geyser), bubble up, boil up
Borrowed from Vietnamese bánh (“cake, pastry”).
បាញ់ • (bañ)
- cake, pastry
- plug of tobacco