(This etymology is missing or incomplete. Please add to it, or discuss it at the Etymology scriptorium.)
しか • (shika)
- nothing but, only (with negative verb)
- Ganbaru shika nai.
- All we can do is keep on trying our best.
- (literally, “There is nothing but trying our best.”)
- Kuoriti ga takasugite honmono ni shika mienai.
- The quality is so high that it looks just like the real thing.
- (literally, “The quality is so high that I can't see it as anything except the real thing.”)
- aimai ni shika kataranakatta
- only spoke vaguely
- (literally, “did not speak except vaguely”)
- しか (shika) is always used with a negative verb; as such, another interpretation could be "except for".
- しか directly follows "the thing considered as the only choice", and always comes before the negative particle.
- watashi shika kore o kawanai
- Only I will buy this.
- watashi wa kore shika kawanai
- I will buy only this.
- watashi wa kore o kau shika nai
- I have to buy this.
|For pronunciation and definitions of しか – see 然.|
(This term, しか, is an alternative spelling of the above terms.)
(The following entry is uncreated: 然.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of しか – see the following entry.
|(This term, しか, is an alternative spelling of the above term.|
For a list of all kanji read as しか, not just those used in Japanese terms, see Category:Japanese kanji read as しか.)
|For pronunciation and definitions of しか – see the following entries.
|(This term, しか, is an alternative spelling of the above Sino-Japanese terms.)
(The following entries are uncreated: 史科, 四火, 四果, 四科, 市価, 死火, 糸価, 私家, 知客, 師家, 疵瑕, 紙花, 紙価, 翅果, 詞花, 詩家, 雌花, 賜暇, 子夏, 志賀.)