|Historical forms of the character 然
|Bronze inscriptions||Large seal script||Small seal script|
Note that the upper left component is analyzed as 肉 (meat), and in the character 肰 (used as phonetic) is drawn as 月 (moon), but in 然 this is distorted (tilted), looking more like 夕 (evening), with an extra stroke; compare 祭, 將.
- KangXi: page 675, character 12
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 19149
- Dae Jaweon: page 1086, character 20
- Hanyu Da Zidian: volume 3, page 2213, character 5
- Unihan data for U+7136
|simp. and trad.
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Kaohsiung, Zhangzhou)
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou, Taipei, Xiamen)
- † so, thus, in this manner, like this
- †(no longer productive) Suffix forming adverbs, sometimes also adjectives, with an abstract meaning of "in the manner of, like"
- (obsolete) but
This character appears almost only in compounds in Modern Chinese.
- suffix after nouns to express likeness
- so, be as it is
- however (as shikashi)
- a certain thing
|Kanji in this term|
- Halpern, Jack: New Japanese-English Character Dictionary -Kenkyusha 1990
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text