- added to a verb to form a noun for an action or process
- the result of, or something related to, such an action or process
- Norwegian Bokmål: -else
- Creating, from a verb, a noun which is created by the action of this verb (not necessarily one with which the verb is supposed to be done).
- Backelse (“pastry”): that which is baked (in a wider sense anything baked like bread and cakes) — from backen (“to bake”)
- Radelse (“riddle”): that which is guessed — from raden (“to guess”); compare German Rätsel, Dutch raadsel, Old English rǣdelse
- Riemelse (“rhyme”): that which is rhymed — from riemen (“to rhyme”)
Middle Low GermanEdit
- Creating a noun from a verb, denoting something on which the verb is performed.
- ên backelse
- a baked good; literally 'that which is created by baking'
- Creating a noun from a verb, denoting an object which is used to perform the verb.
- ên deckelse
- a cover, a roof, a wrapping; literally 'that which is used to cover'
Also from West Germanic loanwords, partly with with metathesis of suffixes -sel and -sle from Middle Low German -nisse, from Old Saxon -nissi, from Proto-West Germanic *-nassī (forms abstract nouns), from *-nass, from Proto-Germanic *-inassuz + *-ī, from Proto-Germanic *-į̄, from Proto-Indo-European *-i-h₂, from *-h₂ (creates collective nouns).
- IPA(key): /ˈɛlsə/, /ˈəlsə/
- Rhymes: -ɛlsə, -əlsə
- Hyphenation: -el‧se
- Homophones: Else, -elset
- Used to form verbal nouns denoting an action.
- avgjørelse, forståelse, anfektelse, bebudelse, oppstandelse ― decision, understanding, challenge, proclamation, resurrection
- Used to form verbal nouns synonymous with the -ing ending.
- drøftelse, oversettelse, tilretteleggelse, utdannelse ― discussion, translation, facilitation, education
- Used to form verbal nouns denoting a different meaning than the -ing ending.
- forbindelse, lignelse ― connection, parable
- Used to form verbal nouns with a specific meaning, usually the result of an action
- skrivelse, spøkelse, stivelse ― writing, ghost, starch
- (feminine suffix for inanimate objects) suffix creating nouns from verbs
- rǣdelse ― counsel, advise, riddle, enigma
- English: -le
- suffix creating nouns from verbs