Abend + Brot
- IPA(key): /ˈaːbəntˌbroːt/ (standard)
- IPA(key): /ˈaːmbroːt/ (rapidspeech)
Abendbrot n (genitive Abendbrots or Abendbrotes, plural Abendbrote)
- supper, dinner (evening meal), typically consisting of bread, sliced meat, cheese, and pickles
- In German-speaking areas, the evening meal typically consists of what is described above, but Abendbrot can be used to refer to any evening meal (i.e. used synonymously with Abendessen) — although a dinner at a classy restaurant would usually be referred to only with Abendessen.
- The plural form is rarely used.