- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsʌpɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsʌpə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ʌpə(ɹ)
- Food consumed before going to bed.
- 1848 November – 1850 December, William Makepeace Thackeray, chapter 46, in The History of Pendennis. […], volume (please specify |volume=I or II), London: Bradbury and Evans, […], published 1849–1850, OCLC 2057953:
- There he stood, with admirable patience, […] longing to go to rest for hours past; aware that suppers disagreed with him […] so tired and longing for bed!
- Any meal eaten in the evening; dinner eaten in the evening, rather than at noon.
- We normally have supper at 7.
- (Scotland, Northern Ireland, slang) A meal from a chip shop consisting of a deep-fried food with chips.
- a pizza supper
- 2014, Gerald Hansen, An Embarrassment of Riches
- Roisin the savior paraded into the front room with three fish suppers, one sausage supper, one single fish, one single chips, a single sausage, a chicken and chips, and three curry and chips.
food before going to bed
dinner at night
- To consume a snack before retiring.
- To eat dinner (see above).
to eat dinner
supper (plural suppers)
supper m or f