- Birmese (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /bɜːˈmiːz/
- (General American) IPA(key): /bɝˈmiz/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -iːz
Burmese (not comparable)
Burmese (plural Burmese)
- A person from Myanmar or of Burmese descent.
- A medium-sized, short-haired domestic cat breed, originating in Thailand.
As with other nationalities formed with -ese, the countable singular noun in reference to a person (as in "I am a Burmese", "writing about Burmese cuisine as a Burmese") is uncommon and often taken as incorrect. In its place, the adjective is used, by itself (as in "I am Burmese") or with a word like person, man, or woman ("writing about Burmese cuisine as a Burmese person").
- The Sino-Tibetan official language of the country Burma. Also known as Myanmar (which is the name preferred by the country's current government).
- The script in which the Burmese language is written.