From a Norman surname, from a place in Normandy (Old French for "Gomeric's hill"). Gumaric was a Germanic personal name composed of *gumô (“man”) and *rīks (“ruler”) (whence the modern French surnames Gomery, Gommery and Gumery or the Galician placename Gomariz).
- A surname.
- Bernard Montgomery (Monty), a British army officer.
- A male given name transferred from the surname.
- The capital city of the state of Alabama in the USA, and the county seat of Montgomery County.
- A small city in Montgomery County, Texas, USA.
- A town in Powys, Wales, formerly the county town of Montgomeryshire.
- ^ Patrick Hanks, Flavia Hodges, A Concise Dictionary of First Names (Oxford University Press, 2001)