/tʃɹɪp/, really? Where? For non IPA readers, these would roughly correspond to "tshrip" (that is, same as the usual pronunciation with an extra -sh- sound). Mglovesfun (talk) 14:19, 30 January 2011 (UTC)
- The pronunciation /tʃɹɪp/ is probably the standard pronunciation in most of America. Affrication of /t/ before /r/ is almost ubiquitous in American English. If you speak American English natively, you probably think you hear /tr/ even when you are actually hearing [tʃɹ], much as you hear [t] as /d/ at the beginning of words.126.96.36.199 16:55, 4 April 2011 (UTC)
The words linked in the etyl all seem to exist, just not in the languages indicated, which is a bit frustrating for those of us trying to ascertain the meaning of source words. Also, is the sense "to stumble" really from the same root verb as "to make a voyage"? If so, how did this divergence in meaning come about? -- Eiríkr Útlendi │ Tala við mig 07:17, 4 April 2012 (UTC)
Intense enjoyment of a conditionEdit
- I think there are different aspects of this, but I am not sure. Perhaps "experience" instead of "enjoyment".
- AHD has four senses:
- A hallucinatory experience induced by a psychedelic drug: an acid trip.
- An intense, stimulating, or exciting experience: a power trip.
- A usually temporary but absorbing interest or preoccupation: He's on another health food trip.
- A certain way of life or situation: "deny that his reclusiveness is some sort of deliberate star trip" (Patricia Bosworth).
- -- DCDuring TALK 15:03, 19 April 2012 (UTC)
Hello, I think a meaning is missing ob this article. It is about the detectro. Some examples to illustrate
- All and any help here is appreciated. Have been out on this detector tripping numerous times.
- It needs to be able to detect if the wire to a sensor has been cut, or a wire short-circuited, or the sensor has been tripped
- We do have this already: "To activate or set in motion, as in the activation of a trap, explosive, or switch." But it's marked as transitive only. Your first example seems to be intransitive. Equinox ◑ 11:06, 21 August 2012 (UTC)