|#|| U+0023, #
|＃|| U+FF03, ＃
FULLWIDTH NUMBER SIGN
The symbol # derives from the abbreviation lb for Latin libra (“pound”), via the medieval convention of indicating abbreviations with a bar, ℔.
# (plural # or #s)
- (food packaging, US) Pound (unit of weight).
- 3# — "three pounds"
- (followed by a numeral: used attributively) Number.
- #3 — "number three"
- (Internet slang, text messaging) Number.
1997 June 17, RYankowski [username], “Why collect new U.S.?”, in rec.collecting.stamps, Usenet:
I have collected U.S. Stamps since I was a boy back in the 1950's. At that time there was a low # being printed and it was affordable.
- (linguistics) Denotes a word or morpheme boundary.
Likely from English.
- (Mainland China) Alternative form of 號／号 (hào, “number”), used after a numeral.