assize (plural assizes)
- A session or inquiry made before a court or jury.
- The verdict reached or pronouncement given by a panel of jurors.
- An assembly of knights and other substantial men, with a bailiff or justice, in a certain place and at a certain time, for public business.
- A statute or ordinance, especially one regulating weights and measures.
- the assize of bread and other provisions
- Anything fixed or reduced to a certainty in point of time, number, quantity, quality, weight, measure, etc.
- rent of assize
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Glanvill to this entry?)
- (obsolete) Measure; dimension; size.
- an hundred cubits high by just assize
a session or inquiry made before a court or jury