Probable shortening of bachelor.
- (US) IPA(key): /bætʃ/
- (UK) IPA(key): /batʃ/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (General New Zealand) IPA(key): /bɛtʃ/
- Rhymes: -ætʃ
- Homophone: batch
bach (plural baches)
- (New Zealand, northern) A holiday home, usually small and near the beach, often with only one or two rooms and of simple construction.
- crib (New Zealand)
- (US) To live apart from women, as during the period when a divorce is in progress. (Compare bachelor pad.)
- small, little, short
- Na, rwy'n mynd ar y trên bach. ― No, I'm taking the little train.
- not fully-grown or developed, young
- insignificant, unimportant, humble
- small (of business, etc.)
- lowercase (of letter)
bach m or f (plural bachau)
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every|
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
- R. J. Thomas, G. A. Bevan, P. J. Donovan, A. Hawke et al., editors (1950-), “bach”, in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru Online (in Welsh), University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh & Celtic Studies