- The crime of unlawfully breaking into a vehicle, house, store, or other enclosure with the intent to steal.
- 2016, John Oliver, “Pennies”, in Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, season 3, episode 35, written by Tim Carvell; Josh Gondelman; Dan Gurewitch; Jeff Maurer; Ben Silva; Will Tracy; Jill Twiss; Seena Vali; Julie Weiner, HBO, Warner Bros. Television:
- Essentially, Jarden makes anything that you’d find left behind after a burglary.
- (law) Under the common law, breaking and entering of the dwelling of another at night with the intent to commit a felony.
- (law, US) Under the Model Penal Code, entering a building or occupied structure with purpose to commit a crime therein, unless the premises are at the time open to the public or the actor is licensed or privileged to enter. Model Penal Code § 221.1.
the crime of breaking into