consulate (plural consulates)
- Rule by consuls, as during most periods of the Roman Republic or in France between 1799 and 1804.
- The office of a consul, in its various senses.
- The term of office of a consul.
- The business office of a consul; a minor embassy.
- (obsolete) Any town or city council.
- (rule): capitoulate (historical, Toulouse)
- (office and term of office): consulship; capitoulate (historical, Toulouse)
Derived terms Edit
Related terms Edit
the residency of a consul
an office of a government, comparable to an embassy
See also Edit
- Oxford English Dictionary, 1st ed. "consulate, n." Oxford University Press (Oxford), 1893.