- anie (obsolete)
From Middle English eny, from Old English æniġ, from Proto-Germanic *ainagaz, from Proto-Germanic *ainaz (“one”), equivalent to one + -y. Cognate to Dutch enig (“any, some”), German einig (“some”). False cognate to Finnish enää (“any more”) (from Proto-Uralic *enä (“big”)).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɛnɪ/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈæni/, /ˈɛni/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈɛni/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛni
- (US) Homophone: innie (pin-pen)
- (Ireland) IPA(key): /ˈæni/
- Rhymes: -æni
any (not comparable)
- To even the slightest extent, at all.
- I will not remain here any longer.
- If you get any taller, you'll start having to duck through doorways!
- At least one; of at least one kind. One at all.
- do you have any biscuits?; do you have any food?; I haven't got any money; it won't do you any good
- Bible, Matthew xi. 27
- No man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, in The China Governess:
- Meanwhile Nanny Broome was recovering from her initial panic and seemed anxious to make up for any kudos she might have lost, by exerting her personality to the utmost. She took the policeman's helmet and placed it on a chair, and unfolded his tunic to shake it and fold it up again for him.
- No matter what kind.
- choose any items you want; any person may apply
- 1910, Emerson Hough, chapter I, in The Purchase Price: Or The Cause of Compromise, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, OCLC 639762314, page 0108:
- This new-comer was a man who in any company would have seemed striking. In complexion fair, and with blue or gray eyes, he was tall as any Viking, as broad in the shoulder.
- 2013 July 20, “Welcome to the plastisphere”, in The Economist, volume 408, number 8845:
- Plastics are energy-rich substances, which is why many of them burn so readily. Any organism that could unlock and use that energy would do well in the Anthropocene. Terrestrial bacteria and fungi which can manage this trick are already familiar to experts in the field.
- Any thing(s) or person(s).
- Any may apply.
- any at OneLook Dictionary Search
any m (plural anys)
- un home de 26 anys
- a 26-year-old man
- Quants anys tens?
- How old are you?