From Middle French culture (“cultivation; culture”), from Latin cultūra (“cultivation; culture”), from cultus, perfect passive participle of colō (“till, cultivate, worship”) (related to colōnus and colōnia), from Proto-Indo-European *kʷel- (“to move; to turn (around)”).
- culture (practices and beliefs particular to a society or group)
- culture (arts, historic heritage and media as a sector)
- culture, cultivation (tillage of crops)
- culture (collective of microorganisms)
- culture (collection of artificially bred bacteria or fungi)