- (transitive) To lower in character, quality, or value; to degrade.
- (transitive, archaic) To lower in position or rank.
- (transitive) To lower the value of (a currency) by reducing the amount of valuable metal in the coins.
lower in character, etc
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- ^ Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989.