See also: déduction
deduction (plural deductions)
- That which is deducted; that which is subtracted or removed
- A sum that can be removed from tax calculations; something that is written off
- You might want to donate the old junk and just take the deduction.
- (logic) A process of reasoning that moves from the general to the specific, in which a conclusion follows necessarily from the premises presented, so that the conclusion cannot be false if the premises are true.
- A conclusion; that which is deduced, concluded or figured out
- He arrived at the deduction that the butler didn't do it.
- The ability or skill to deduce or figure out; the power of reason
- Through his powers of deduction, he realized that the plan would never work.
that which is subtracted or removed
sum that can be removed from tax calculations
process of reasoning