(transitive) To completely destroy (something) so that it no longer exists.
- (slang) To kill (a person or animal).
- (physiology) To excrete (waste products).
- To exclude (from investigation or from further competition).
- Bill was eliminated as a suspect when the police interviewed witnesses.
- John was eliminated as a contestant when it was found he had gained, rather than lost, weight.
- (accounting) To record amounts in a consolidation statement to remove the effects of inter-company transactions.
eliminate the effects of intercompany transactions in a consolidation statement
- eliminate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “eliminate”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911