- (chemistry) Any of a class of aliphatic carboxylic acids, of general formula CnH2n+1COOH, that occur combined with glycerol as animal or vegetable oils and fats. Only those with an even number of carbon atoms are normally found in natural fats.
- The above general formula applies to the saturated fatty acids. Remove 2 hydrogen atoms for an unsaturated fatty acid, and 2 hydrogen atoms for every double bond in a polyunsaturated fatty acid.
- See also Thesaurus:fatty acid
- acetic acid - C2
- butyric acid - C4
- caproic acid - C6
- caprylic acid - C8
- capric acid - C10
- lauric acid - C12
- myristic acid - C14
- palmitic acid - C16
- stearic acid - C18
- arachidic acid - C20
- obtusilic acid, caproleic acid - C10 unsaturated
- lauroleic acid, linderic acid - C12 unsaturated
- myristoleic acid, physeteric acid, tsuzuic acid - C14 unsaturated
- palmitoleic acid - C16 unsaturated
- petroselinic acid, oleic acid, vaccenic acid - C18 unsaturated
- fatty acid at OneLook Dictionary Search.