See also: Freeman
- A free person, particularly:
- (usually historical) A person who is not a serf or slave.
- (historical) A burgher with full freedom of a city, as opposed to nobles, outsiders, bondsmen, and others.
- An honorary freeman: a person who has received an honorary freedom of a city.
- (usually as two words) A person who is a citizen of a free country, as opposed to a subject of a tyranny or totalitarian dictatorship.
- (Australia, historical) A person who immigrated to Australia freely, as opposed to those transported as convicts, or such a transported convict who has regained his freedom.
- (US and Canada, historical) An independent fur trapper.
- (one who has become free): freedman