outsider (plural outsiders)
- One who is not part of a community or organization.
- While the initiated easily understand the symbols, they are wholly inaccessible to outsiders.
- A newcomer with little or no experience in an organization or community.
- Seeing the mess professional politicians have made of things is it any wonder the electorate is beginning to prefer outsiders.
- A competitor or contestant who has little chance of winning; a long shot; a dark horse
- Johnny was an outsider at this years karate tournament, but he still managed to win second place out of sheer determination.
- See also Thesaurus:outcast
a long shot