gmina (plural gminas)
- commune; municipality; township; the smallest administrative territorial division and the first level of regional government in Poland
Later 16th century, from German Gemeine, archaic variant of Gemeinde, from Middle High German gemeine (“commune, community”), from Old High German gimeinī, derived from Proto-Germanic *gamainiz (“general, common”), whence English mean (“average, base, unkind”). Through Proto-Indo-European eventually also related with English common, community.
- commune; municipality; township; the first level of local government in Poland, below powiat and województwo
- kahal; organized Jewish religious community (usually disambiguated as gmina żydowska)
- (Jewish community): kahał
- organizational units within a gmina: sołectwo, dzielnica, osiedle
- gmina in Polish dictionaries at PWN