- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /həˈɹɛdɪt(ə)ɹi/
- (General American) IPA(key): /həˈɹɛdɪˌtɛɹi/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: he‧red‧i‧ta‧ry
- Passed on as an inheritance, by last will or intestate.
- Of a title, honor or right: legally granted to somebody's descendant after that person's death.
- Duke is a hereditary title which was created in Norman times.
- Of a person: holding a legally hereditary title or rank.
- hereditary rulers
- Of a disease or trait: passed from a parent to offspring in the genes
- Haemophilia is hereditary in his family.
- (mathematics) Of a ring: such that all submodules of projective modules over the ring are also projective.
- see heir
which is passed on as inheritance
of a title, honor or right: granted to somebody's descendant after that person's death
of a person: holding a hereditary title or rank
of a disease or trait: passed in the genes
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
hereditary (plural hereditaries)