See also: incrément
increment (plural increments)
- The action of increasing or becoming greater.
- the seminary that furnisheth matter for the formation and increment of animal and vegetable bodies
- A nation, to be great, ought to be compressed in its increment by nations more civilized than itself.
- (heraldry) The waxing of the moon.
- The amount of increase.
- (rhetoric) An amplification without strict climax, as in the following passage: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, […] think on these things."
- (chess) The amount of time added to a player's clock after each move.
- (grammar) A syllable in excess of the number of the nominative singular or the second-person singular present indicative.
- (action of increasing or becoming greater): enlargement, expansion; See also Thesaurus:augmentation
- (amount of increase): addition, supplement; See also Thesaurus:adjunct
The action of increasing or becoming greater
The amount of increase
- (intransitive, transitive) To increase by steps or by a step, especially by one.
- 1890, H. E. J. G. Du Bois, “On Magnetic Circuits”, in Philosophical magazine, page 346:
- ... any given value just before observing, the actual pressures must as frequently be incremented as decremented, both in the "on" and the "off" series.
- 2007 January 23, “Busiest two weeks for recruiters”, in Recruiter Magazine:
- public sector professional services recruitment, has seen a strong seasonal upturn which has incremented year on year since 2002 by an average of 12%.
- 1984, Brian W. Kernighan; Rob Pike, The UNIX programming environment, page 124:
- The first for loop looks at each word in the input line, incrementing the element of array num subscripted by the word.
- Used in many technical fields, especially in mathematics and computing.
To increase in steps
increment m (plural increments)
- “increment” in Diccionari de la llengua catalana, segona edició, Institut d’Estudis Catalans.
- “increment” in Gran Diccionari de la Llengua Catalana, Grup Enciclopèdia Catalana.
- “increment” in Diccionari normatiu valencià, Acadèmia Valenciana de la Llengua.
- “increment” in Diccionari català-valencià-balear, Antoni Maria Alcover and Francesc de Borja Moll, 1962.