See also: Motley
- Comprising greatly varied elements, to the point of incongruity; heterogeneous.
- 1910, Emerson Hough, chapter II, in The Purchase Price: Or The Cause of Compromise, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, OCLC 639762314, page 0147:
- Carried somehow, somewhither, for some reason, on these surging floods, were these travelers, […]. Even such a boat as the Mount Vernon offered a total deck space so cramped as to leave secrecy or privacy well out of the question, even had the motley and democratic assemblage of passengers been disposed to accord either.
- Having many colours; variegated.
- (comprising greatly varied elements): diverse, manifold; see also Thesaurus:heterogeneous
- (having many colours): colorful, prismatic, variegated; see also Thesaurus:multicolored
comprising greatly varied elements
having many colours; variegated
motley (plural motleys)
- An incongruous mixture.
- A jester's multicoloured clothes.
- (by extension) A jester; a fool.