ochre (plural ochres)
- An earth pigment containing silica, aluminum and ferric oxide
- A somewhat dark yellowish orange colour
- (molecular biology, colloquial) The stop codon sequence "UAA."
ochre (not comparable)
- Having a yellow-orange colour.
- (archaeology) Referring to cultures that covered their dead with ochre.
having yellow-orange colour
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- To cover or tint with ochre.
2009 July 6, Verlyn Klinkenborg, “How the Thunder Sounds”, in New York Times:
- The sun gloats in the sky, casting a gleam on the pasture where there was so much umbering and ochreing only moments before.