- Serving as an ornament; having no purpose other than to make more beautiful
- Some think it most ornamental to wear their bracelets on their wrists; others, about their ankles.
- Synonyms: beautifying, embellishing, decorative
- 1749, Henry Fielding, chapter I, in The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling. In Six Volumes, volume (please specify |volume=I to VI), London: Printed by A[ndrew] Millar, […], OCLC 928184292, book IV:
- We shall leave to the reader to determine with what judgment we have chosen the several occasions for inserting those ornamental parts of our work.
serving to ornament
ornamental (plural ornamentals)
- An ornamental plant.
plant serving to ornament
- (Balearic) IPA(key): /oɾ.nə.mənˈtal/
- (Central) IPA(key): /ur.nə.mənˈtal/
- (Valencian) IPA(key): /oɾ.na.menˈtal/
ornamental (masculine and feminine plural ornamentals)