See also: overalls
From Middle English overall, overal, from Old English ofer eall, ofer ealle (“over all”), equivalent to over + all. Compare Saterland Frisian oural, uural (“everywhere”), West Frisian oeral (“everywhere”), Dutch overal (“everywhere”), German Low German overall, överall (“everywhere; all over”), German überall (“all over; everywhere”), Danish overalt (“everywhere”), Swedish överallt (“everywhere; overall”).
- (UK) (adjective, adverb) IPA(key): /ˌəʊvəɹˈɔːl/
- (UK) (noun) IPA(key): /ˈəʊvəɹɔːl/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) (adjective, adverb) IPA(key): /ˌoʊvɚˈɔl/
- (US) (noun) IPA(key): /ˈoʊvɚɔl/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔːl
overall (comparative more overall, superlative most overall)
- All-encompassing, all around.
- 1949, W. Keith Hancock and Margaret M. Gowing, British War Economy:
- We believe also that a controlled economy cannot be understood without some overall view of the controlling institutions: hence our short studies — shorter by far than the original drafts — of the central administration.
- big, entire, total, whole; see also Thesaurus:entire
- exhaustive, thorough; see also Thesaurus:comprehensive
overall (not comparable)
- Generally; with everything considered.
- Overall, there is not enough evidence to form a clear conclusion.
- all things considered; see also Thesaurus:mostly
overall (plural overalls)
- (Britain) A garment worn over other clothing to protect it; a coverall or boiler suit. A garment, for manual labor or for casual wear, often made of a single piece of fabric, with long legs and a bib upper, supported from the shoulders with straps, and having several large pockets and loops for carrying tools.
- (in the plural, US) A garment, worn for manual labor, with an integral covering extending to the chest, supported by straps.
protective garment worn over clothing
- overall in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- overall in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911
Borrowed from English overall, from over + all.
- a coverall
|Declension of overall|
- overall in Nationalencyklopedin (needs an authorization fee).